I Love My Vintage Cook Book!

January 29th, 2009 · 21 Comments

Don’t forget my knitting book giveaway ends tomorrow morning (January 31, 2009, 7am Pacific Time)!

Vintage Better Crocker Cook Book

This Betty Crocker New Picture Cook Book was my mom’s cookbook. I has a 1961 copyright so I think she probably got it soon after she and my dad were married. My mom didn’t enjoy cooking and she never really used anything more than this basic cookbook. When I was a child I loved browsing through the pages looking at the photos.  Now, I love looking through the pages thinking of how my mom, as a young, newly married woman, must have browsed through it to learn the basics of cooking.  I love that she touched the pages that I now touch. This cookbook is a door to the past for me.

Vintage Betty Crocker CookbookThe photos are so cool.  The photo above shows one of their test kitchens.  The photo’s title states, “This bright kitchen is always busy with cooking, baking, testing and demonstrating with each home economist at work in her own completely equipped area.”  Hey, am I a home economist?

Vintage Betty Crocker Cook BookThis is their Reception Area. Yipes!

Vintage Betty Crocker Cook BookHere’s a photo of a buffet breakfast!

Muffin Surprise

And these are 1961 Betty Crocker Surprise Muffins, made for my kids in 2009!

Go on over to Hooked on Houses and see what everyone is hooked on this week at Hooked on Fridays!

Tags: Cooking · Favorite Things

• 1 Julia @ Hooked on Houses // Jan 29, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Oh, my gosh, my mom had this cookbook, too! This brought back so many memories. It always sat out on the kitchen counter.

What a fun post. I love stuff like this. Thanks for sharing! :-)

Julia @ Hooked on Houses’s last blog post..“The American President:” The West Wing on the Big Screen

• 2 Holly // Jan 29, 2009 at 11:19 pm

That is so cool! I used to have my mom’s circa 1960ish Better Homes and Gardens red plaid cookbook. I think I gave it to my sister. Dumb.

Holly’s last blog post..True Love

• 3 Michelle // Jan 29, 2009 at 11:19 pm

how awesome!

Michelle’s last blog post..I Heart Faces, Really I Do

• 4 Kim@ForeverWherever // Jan 29, 2009 at 11:35 pm

What a wonderful post! Thanks for sharing!
    -Kim

Kim@ForeverWherever’s last blog post..Hooked on Coffee and Proud of it!

• 5 Mary Beth // Jan 29, 2009 at 11:43 pm

What a wonderful post. I liked looking at the pictures and…the muffins!

Mary Beth’s last blog post..No Sew Window Valances

• 6 Puna // Jan 30, 2009 at 7:23 am

Hello! I always know it’s you when I click on a link and see the guinea pigs! Love your hooked on Friday subject. I’m a cookbooks and decorating books too!

• 7 Kimm at Reinvented // Jan 30, 2009 at 8:43 am

What a treasure, and a great way to carry on family traditions.

Kimm at Reinvented’s last blog post..Saturday Shout-Outs

• 8 spread your wings // Jan 30, 2009 at 9:47 am

My mom still has many of those old cookbooks and I remember as a child we had a really great cookie cookbook and on the weekends I would look through that book cover to cover trying to find something to bake with the ingredients we had on hand – still have that book.

• 9 Monkey's Momma // Jan 30, 2009 at 12:55 pm

I have my mom’s old Betty Crocker cookbook too! Circa 1960’s, I believe!

Monkey’s Momma’s last blog post..Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card!!!

• 10 iHanna // Jan 30, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Very cool images in those old books – and yummy book covers. They don’t come that way any more! :-)

• 11 Andi // Jan 30, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Like I said at Julia’s, I love old cookbooks, decorating & hostess books and one advantage to being a librarian is getting top dibs on this stuff in our booksale. And finding others who like these books, I see what to keep an eye out for.

Andi’s last blog post..Make It: Felted Sweater Purse

• 12 Kristen // Jan 30, 2009 at 3:07 pm

That cookbook is amazing! I love the photos – priceless!

Kristen’s last blog post..I am hooked on…..

• 13 Elizabeth // Jan 30, 2009 at 5:18 pm

These old cookbooks are awesome. This weekend, my mother-in-law fixed potato pancakes from a recipe book from 1967ish. They were delicious.

Elizabeth’s last blog post..#27

• 14 Taya@Delightful // Jan 30, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Love this post! That’s it, I’m keeping all my cookbooks for my kids!

Taya@Delightful’s last blog post..Hooked on a Fabulous Desk

• 15 ELK // Jan 30, 2009 at 7:06 pm

the book is a cute throwback…what is the surprise in the muffins?

I do not knit so I did nor enter the contest…

ELK’s last blog post..ROAD TRIP

• 16 The Summer Kitchen Girls // Jan 30, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Wow! What great pictures…..our mom had one a bit newer than that….but not by much! We always loved the test kitchen photo – you never saw the messes in the kitchen!

The Summer Kitchen Girls’s last blog post..Hooked on Shadow Boxes

• 17 Hooked on Fridays: Decorating Books from the ’50s « Hooked on Houses // Jan 31, 2009 at 9:11 am

[…] home, only better.) 8. Taya@Delightful! (bookcase) 9. Troischats (pencil rolls and Fridays!) 10. Gayle (Vintage Cookbook) 11. Kimm at Reinvented (Inspiration) 12. Katie (hooked on living in Europe) 13. Arleen @ Seasons […]

• 18 Gayle // Jan 31, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Hi Everyone!

Thank you for visiting and for all of the nice comments! It’s so great to hear that so many of you enjoy old cook books! ELK, the surprise in the muffins is strawberry jam!

• 19 d @ qdm // Feb 2, 2009 at 3:07 pm

someday i’m going to remember to make a Hooked on Friday post.

I used to have a vintage Betty Crocker cake book. It was so incredible. Some of the cakes were insanely cheesy but others were just plain neat. Too bad it’s gone. What was I thinking?

• 20 Gayle // Feb 2, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Hi d!

I know what you mean about regretting getting rid of things like the cake book. There are plenty of things that I wish my mom, or I, had saved. She was not a saver, and I’m not either!

• 21 Chelsea // Jul 13, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I know you submitted this a long time ago, but I have been searching like mad! I recently lost my grandmother, and she too had this cookbook. Unfortunately, my Aunt took the cookbook and I am unable to retrieve the 1961 Surprise Muffins recipe.
    My grandmother used to make these every Sunday and I miss them so much, but cannot remember the exact recipe. Is there any way you could bring yourself to submitting the recipe? I would be so appreciative.
    Thank you in advance!