Randomness Meme

January 14th, 2009 · 7 Comments

ice-1-7-09

Another of my ice photos, totally unrelated to this post!

I was tagged by lmerie at The Green Grass Grows All Around for a Randomness Meme, in December.  Gah, I feel so bad that I didn’t do my post before now.  Better late than never?

So, first, the rules:

1) Link to the person who tagged you.2) Post the rules on your blog (copy and paste 1-6).3) Write 6 random things about yourself (see below).4) Tag 6 people at the end of your post and link to them.5) Let each person know they have been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.6) Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

Now onto the randomness!

1. Family members used to call me “Ga-Bess” when I was younger.  I got this strange nickname from a cousin of mine that couldn’t say my name.  I think she and I were probably about two or three years old and all of the adults called me by my first and middle name.  My cousin tried, and “Ga-Bess” was her best pronunciation!  So it stuck and for many years, that’s what family members called me!
  2. Here’s another nickname!  My mother called me “Angel”, of course because I was one!  She called me this into adulthood, sometimes shortening  it to “Ang” (with a long a sound).  My husband could not stand this nickname. He would practically cringe when she said it!
  3. Hey!  Here’s another nickname for you!  (I didn’t realize I had so many nicknames until I started thinking about it!)  One of my older cousins used to call me “Passionflower”!  I think I was about five and she was probably around sixteen, so it was around 1968.  Flower Power was in full swing, baby!  Are you old enough to remember Flower Power?  So, she put a flower in my hair and christened me Passionflower!
  4. Here’s another thing from way back in the early 1970’s.  (The background for this: My father was a policeman.)  We had a board game of  “Password”.  My mom, one of my aunts, and I were playing.  I was giving clues and the word I needed my mom to get was “Policeman”.  I don’t know what other clues I gave, but one of them was a word that I had heard the police called on TV.  So my clue was…pig.  I had NO IDEA that this was derogatory!  I was a kid.  My aunt went ballistic!  She made me feel horrible.  I don’t know why my mom didn’t stop her from going on and on about it.  A simple explanation about how that is not a nice thing to call the police would have been just right…and I wouldn’t have been scarred for life.  Oh, and just a side note, my aunt never had kids, so maybe I can let her off the hook about not handling this well.
  5. I used to love reading scary books.  Stephen King was tops with me.  No More!  I need to read happy books, funny books, sweet books.  Scary books creep. me. out.  It just doesn’t work very well when one of your kids hears a noise  and needs you to check for monsters and you’re just as scared as they are!  Nope, no more Stephen King for me!
  6. When I was a kid I had a pet rabbit named Cindy.  I named her after Cindy, the youngest girl on The Brady Bunch.  She was a Dutch Rabbit and a great pet.  We would let her run around free in the house sometimes and we had a harness and a leash for her.  She loved to walk on the grass and eat it.  The only bad thing is that she only lived for three years.  Both my mom and I cried when Cindy died.

Well, now you know six random things about me.  Please don’t hold the pig thing against me.

Love, Ga-Bess

If you’re reading this, consider yourself tagged, but only if you want to be.

Tags: All About Me · Blogging

• 1 lmerie // Jan 14, 2009 at 4:34 pm

A Ga-Bess (could be God Bless;) ) Cute randomness – glad you played!

• 2 Debbie // Jan 14, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Can I randomly play along, even though I don’t have a blog? You and I have SO much in common – probably because we’re almost the same age (I’m about 2 yrs older). We used to play Password, and remember “Mystery Date”? lol I liked paper dolls more than Barbies. I also used to LOVE Stephen King, but have given him up for more rosier-viewed lit.
    1) My dad called me “Sugar” for my entire life, until he passed away in October 2008.
    2) I won a Third Premium white ribbon in the Kentucky State Fair in 1993 for a beaded sweatshirt that I did! (Yay me!)
    3) I have an embarrassingly large collection of decorating magazines, mostly Romantic Homes, Victoria, and Mary Engelbreit’s Home Companion
    4) I’m afraid of spiders; One night I came home from school (college, when I was 25 and married) only to find the most GINORMOUS spider hanging out on our front door. I somehow managed to get past it and went screaming into the house looking for Hubby to save me. I came skidding to a stop at the sight of him in the basement wearing his bike helmet, a pair of gloves and brandishing his raquetball racquet. He’d come across a little bat and was trying to get it out of the house. Now, that little bat hadn’t moved a single inch off of the beam on the top of the wall, and was completely unaware of Hubby waging war against it! I told him that if he got the spider, I’d take care of the bat. I put a coffee can over the bat and scooped it into the can with a magazine (sans the war regalia) . I then went out the back door, where I set the can and magazine down, tipped over the can and ran back into the house.
    I still hate spiders.
    5) I absolutely love, love, love the color pink; our dining room is pink, the laundry room is pink, our bedroom is pink (but I told Hubby that it’s ROSE, not pink :::snicker:::), and I’m trying to get away with putting touches of pink into the living room that I am in the midst of redecorating. The living room is a muted version of the Tiffany’s box.
    6) I love country music. Always have. My mom loved her “Cowboy” music, and I learned from her waaaaay back then. My daughter and I go to as many country music concerts as we can squeeze in (and pay for) every year.

Those are my random things about moi!

:o* Smooches

• 3 Gayle // Jan 14, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Hi lmerie!
    Thanks, it was fun!

Hi Debbie!
    I totally forgot about “Mystery Date”; I loved that game! You need to start a blog!

• 4 donna // Jan 14, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Nice to know all these interesting things about you

• 5 Gayle // Jan 15, 2009 at 11:53 am

Hi donna!

Thanks!

• 6 d @ qdm.com // Jan 16, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Yay! I’m off to do this now!

• 7 Gayle // Jan 16, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Hi d!

Good! Can’t wait to see it!