Ice Ice Baby!

January 8th, 2009 · 23 Comments

ice-1-7-09

We had ice and freezing rain all day yesterday.  School was closed (Yippee!) and my husband stayed home from work because traveling was messy.  Messy, but so beautiful.  Can you believe yesterday I took 146 photos of ice?!  No?  I can’t either.  You will probably see a couple of more ice posts from me!  The first photo in this post I put on Flickr.

ice-1-7-09

Our internet, phone and television weren’t working all day yesterday so that gave me more free time to spend outside.  I really did miss visiting my favorite blogs, though.  I wondered what everyone was up to!  I didn’t miss the phone and the television. I could do without them, for a while.

Since it was such crummy weather I decided to make some warm comfort food for dinner. I started cooking some stew beef three hours before dinner in my dutch oven.  I added onions, potatoes, parsnips, carrots, turnips and green beans.  It was good.  Here’s a photo.  I have the hardest time taking images of food.  The color is never right.  I tried to adjust it in Picasa because I am hopeless at Photoshop Elements.

beef stew

I also made bread in my bread machine.  I love that bread machine.  It fills the house with such a wonderful aroma.  It takes four hours to make bread.  It’s so cool when I start the bread, then go out, and come back home to that delicious smell of baking bread!

bread

My youngest son decided we needed a yummy dessert, so he made brownies.  He sprinkled on some chocolate chips and chocolate chunks.  I love that boy.

brownies

Oh, no!  The song Ice Ice Baby is  now stuck in my head.  Ack, now it’s gonna be stuck there for hours.  (Did I stick it in your head?!)

ice-1-7-09

Because I am really hooked on ice photos right now, I have added this post to Hooked on Houses  Hooked on Fridays link party.  Go on over there for some really great links to cool stuff!

Tags: Cooking · Family · Favorite Things · Photography

• 1 diane // Jan 8, 2009 at 4:04 pm

that sounds like such a wonderful day!

• 2 donna // Jan 8, 2009 at 4:50 pm

I am showing my age by even admitting I even know that song. Beautiful ice pictures…and dinner just looks yummy

• 3 ELK // Jan 8, 2009 at 5:47 pm

gayle what a fun day….now you have ice photos as well..it is an amazing trick of Mother Nature!

what did Timmy think?

• 4 Monkey's Momma // Jan 8, 2009 at 6:05 pm

LOL, You sound like me!~ I can take 150 pictures of absolutely nothing! They are beautiful pictures, though.

Is “Ice, Ice, Baby” the name of a song? I’m JUST kidding. I am almost FOURTY, ya know!

• 5 Gayle // Jan 8, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Hi diane!
    It really was a great day! I love it when my kids get a surprise day off!

Hi donna!
    I thought I was showing my age, too. But, when my kids got home from school and explained how I was showing my age by knowing that song, they said they know it also! I guess in the age of Youtube, things are different!

Hi ELK!
    Yes! I’m so glad I have ice photos now! I didn’t let Timmy go nuts on the ice because I was worried that he would get hurt. He did slip around a little and when he did he sniffed the ice as if to say, “What is this stuff?!”

Hi Monkey’s Momma!
    I can’t have too many more endless photo shots like that. My computer’s hard drive is almost full and I don’t want to delete anything! I need a drive just to put my photos on and I don’t even shot in RAW!

• 6 Shalet // Jan 9, 2009 at 12:07 am

Don’t do that to me with Vanilla Ice! Think Bowie … think Bowie … think Bowie!

Tomorrow night I’m coming to your house for dinner! Mmmm!

• 7 Gayle // Jan 9, 2009 at 8:38 am

Hi Shalet!

Hahahahahaha! Tonight (Friday) is pizza night!

• 8 Kim@ForeverWherever // Jan 9, 2009 at 11:50 am

That’s Some kind of comfy food! It’s making me hungry!
    You should bring your recipe over to my blog for “Tasty Tuesday!”
    -Kim

• 9 Debbie // Jan 9, 2009 at 11:53 am

Ice Ice Baby ~ Yup it’s in my head now! Gorgeous, simply gorgeous pictures! Wow, that dinner, bread, brownies and ice blend so well together! Glad you enjoyed a nice ICE day with your family.

Blessings to you and your family this New Year!

Debbie

• 10 Gayle // Jan 9, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Hi Kim!
    That sounds like a great idea!

Hi Debbie!
    Isn’t it terrible! Every time I look at my post, it gets stuck in my head! Happy New Year!

• 11 Mia's Pearls // Jan 9, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Yes it did! *stick in my mind*

I am completely hooked on ice as well, or more frost, since that’s mostly what we get here in London. I have lots of frost photos on my blog, but today’s hooked on is more about summer.

Have a great weekend!

• 12 Shannon // Jan 9, 2009 at 1:02 pm

I love the photographs of the ice! They are so pretty. And the soup and bread look pretty good too! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I need all the support I can get making all these decisions!!

• 13 Taya@Delightful // Jan 9, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Those are some amazing pictures! There’s something so beautiful about ice! Winter’s not all that bad…

• 14 Gayle // Jan 9, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Hi Mia’s Pearls!
    I love frost photos, too! I’ll come over and check them out!

Hi Shannon!
    Thank you and thank you for visiting and commenting!

Hi Taya!
    Thank you! True, sometimes winter’s not bad, but tomorrow we’re due for more snow and we’ve got a big weekend planned! I sure hope it doesn’t ruin it.

• 15 Liz // Jan 9, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Beautiful post, gorgeous pictures. Makes me want to be at home.

• 16 Hooked on Fridays: Martha Stewart’s Glass Chandelier « Hooked on Houses // Jan 9, 2009 at 3:22 pm

[…] Cindy~My Romantic Home 32. Susan Smith 33. Christy 34. Gayle 35. Jackie W. Buried in Legos 36. Deborah Milne 37. Jeanette Donaher 38. Cherry Blossom Photography […]

• 17 Julia @ Hooked on Houses // Jan 9, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Love the ice pictures (and now I have that song stuck in my head, too!). Beautiful. And the food looks awfully good, too. There’s nothing like bread baking to make a house smell like home.

Thanks for joining my blog party today! I enjoyed your post. :-)

• 18 christy // Jan 9, 2009 at 6:29 pm

I love your ice photos. But the truth is that now I’m dying for home made bread and brownies.

• 19 Tamara // Jan 9, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Oh, you’re having the kind of weather we were having. Are you in the North West somewhere? I had fun taking photos in the snow but I’m ready for it to be gone now :)

Thanks for stopping by and hope to see you again soon!

• 20 Gayle // Jan 9, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Hi Julia!
    Thank you for having the great blog party!

Hi christy!
    Thank you! Hope you get some bread and brownie making time in this weekend!

Hi Tamara!
    We’re in the North East. I am also ready for the snow to be gone!

• 21 Beth // Jan 10, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Ah so pretty! I love the LOOK of the ice and snow, just not getting out in it. We’re having a warm spell but the weather man said watch out, the coldest weather of the season is coming PDQ. I’m not sure if that includes snow or not … guess I’ll watch tonight and see what they are saying. No worries though, the thing about living here in the midwest is it won’t last. As they say around here, if you don’t like the weather just wait a day or two, it’ll change.

• 22 Gayle // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Hi Beth!

We’re supposed to get that blast of cold air, too. I’m not looking forward to it!

• 23 Ice Ice Baby! Two // Jan 21, 2009 at 8:44 pm

[…] song stuck in your head again!  It’s just that now we have icicles, and when I see ice, I must photograph it!  Unless it’s the ice that I am getting really fed up with.  Like the ice on our front […]