Sausage Bread Recipe

January 2nd, 2009 · 9 Comments

Sausage Bread

My father used to make Sausage Bread as an appetizer for most holidays.  After he died we hadn’t had it for several years and I decided to carry on the tradition and start making it myself.  Thankfully he had given me the recipe.  Now I’m passing it on to you!  It is so easy to make and looks beautiful.  Of course, I forgot to take a photo of it once it was sliced!

Sausage Bread

If you are making your own dough, allow it to sit for at least 30 minutes before rolling it out.

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit when you are almost ready to pop the sausage bread in!

Ingredients

• 1 pizza dough
  • 1 lb. of  Italian Sausage (1/2 sweet, 1/2 hot) removed from casings
  • 1/2 lb. Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
  • Garlic Powder
  • 2 eggs (separate one of the eggs)
  • Red Pepper Flakes – optional
  • Fennel Seeds – optional
  1. Make your favorite pizza dough from scratch or use 1 bag of refrigerated pizza dough from supermarket.
  2. Break apart and cook sausage completely in a frying pan.  Let it cool.
  3. Once sausage is cool, sprinkle in some garlic powder. Mix in a sprinkling of red pepper flakes and fennel seeds if you are adding them. Mix in the mozzarella cheese.  Add one egg, plus a second egg white.  (Save the second egg yolk for later.)  Mix thoroughly.
  4. Flour the counter and the dough and a rolling pin.  Roll out the dough to approximately 14 inches round.
  5. Spread the sausage mixture onto the dough evenly, leaving about 1 inch around the edges.
  6. Wet the edges of the dough with water.
  7. Carefully roll up the dough/sausage mixture into a log.  Lock the ends with a wet fork.
  8. Carefully transfer to a foil covered cookie sheet.
  9. Mix the egg yolk from step 3 with about a tablespoon of water.  Brush the mixture onto the dough.  This will give it a beautiful golden brown color when baked.
  10. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit  for 40 minutes.

I hope you enjoy this recipe!

Edited to Add: To give you an idea of how much pizza dough you need, when I make this, I make the pizza dough in my bread machine using a dough recipe that calls for 3 cups of bread flour.

Tags: Cooking

• 1 d @ qdm // Jan 5, 2009 at 10:20 am

oh, this is totally my kind of recipe!

Do you know what the egg in the sausage is for? Is it to hold the mixture together?

• 2 d @ qdm // Jan 5, 2009 at 10:21 am

oh yeah…do you mind if we put this on our site with a link back to you after we’ve made it?

• 3 Gayle // Jan 5, 2009 at 10:45 am

Hi d!

Great! I think the egg is to hold the mixture together, but I wonder if it would hold together even without the egg because of the cheese. I don’t know!

Yes, you can put it on your site with a link to me. Thanks! I hope you like it!

• 4 lmerie // Jan 7, 2009 at 8:44 am

Oh I wish I had this for breakfast this morning! hehe

• 5 Rachel // Jan 8, 2009 at 2:41 pm

I love your site!

My mom makes something similiar to this, but with just pepperoni and mozzarella chese instead. She also brushes with egg yoke and sprinkles poppy seeds on top. When I make it, I like to coat it with olive oil and sprinkle herbs and spices on top, then parmesan cheese near the end of baking time. I’ll be sure to try your version – it sounds tasty! 😀

• 6 Gayle // Jan 8, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Hi Rachel!

Thank you for visiting and for the nice comment! Your mom’s variations and yours sound so good! I will try them!

• 7 Sausage and Peppers Recipe // Jan 13, 2009 at 10:15 am

[…] you like sausage (no, we don’t only eat sausage!) check out my recipe for Sausage Bread.  Also, check out Forever… Wherever for more wonderful recipes in their Tasty Tuesday Parade […]

• 8 Kim@ForeverWherever // Jan 13, 2009 at 11:48 am

This sounds great! I think I used to make some like this but I forgot all about it! I’m gonna save this!
    Thanks!
    -Kim

• 9 Cassie // Dec 21, 2012 at 6:43 pm

My dad use to make this also for holidays or whatever. He never used a recipe though so I had nothing to go off of. going to try to attempt it this year. Thanks!