Starts with Love, Ends with Turkey

November 13th, 2008 · 14 Comments

At Shutter Sisters I have seen some amazing images of hearts that photographers have found.  I often think, “Gee, it would be so cool to find an unintentional heart!”  Well, I found one!  Yippee!  I put my bowl on the kitchen counter to make guacamole and there it was!  The coolest thing was that if I rotated the bowl even just a little bit the image inside was no longer a heart!  Amazing!  Go check out more images of love at chookooloonks!

In black and white, of course, for November in black and white!

And now, on to the Turkey part of the post!  I need some Turkey advice.  In the many years that I have been making a Thanksgiving turkey there is only one time that I made a good one.  I have tried both food store Butterballs (and other brands) and butcher shop organics and they all come out dry and tough and tasteless.  I thought for sure last year’s turkey was going to be great.  I spent something like $76.00 on it (Yipes!)  It was a butcher shop organic but I don’t remember the farm name.  I brined it overnight.  I followed the butcher’s cooking instructions.  Blech!  Same old dried out tasteless thing.  Oh, I should also mention that I have a terrible fear of salmonella, so I do cook it to an internal temperature of 180 degrees.  (Oops, I just checked the USDA Turkey Fact Sheet and they say an internal temp of 165 degrees is safe!)  Maybe that’s part of my problem.  But, I don’t just want a safe turkey, I want a delicious turkey!!!  I would love to hear your advice for a tasty bird!

Tags: Cooking · Photography · Shutter Sisters

• 1 ELK // Nov 13, 2008 at 2:20 pm

surprises if the heart kind here today ~ i celebrate your find in something as everyday as a bowl! now turkey help I cannot give but I will be watching for others HLT!

• 2 Toni // Nov 13, 2008 at 2:22 pm

My son is an executive chef and the last time he did a turkey he stuffed a stick of butter, sliced, under the skin, along with some fresh herbs – sage and rosemary I think. We don’t usually do the traditional turkey and haven’t had it in a few years, but I think we are again this year. He plans on taking the breast off the bone and I think wrapping it in the skin and baking it – low and slow, and then he’ll do something different with the legs, etc.

I think if you quit taking it to 180 ° you’ll be fine. :)

• 3 Gayle // Nov 13, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Hi ELK!
    I was so excited when I spotted the heart, I called my kids in to see! HLT!

Hi Toni!
    Thank you for the advice! I’m hoping to have a delicious turkey this year!

• 4 maya // Nov 13, 2008 at 7:10 pm

wow! cool heart! that’s only happened to me once – in the roots of a tree!

i’m clueless about turkeys. i’m making one for the first time this year. i’m tempted to try the whole stick of butter thing.

• 5 Gayle // Nov 13, 2008 at 7:35 pm

Hi maya!

I think I might try that, too. Also, I’ll try not to cook it too long!

• 6 Monkey's Momma // Nov 13, 2008 at 8:30 pm

Very cool pic!

• 7 m. heart // Nov 13, 2008 at 10:09 pm

that’s a fantastic found heart! i would have been excited to find it too!

as for cooking turkeys, i’ve been hosting thanksgiving at my house for about 7 years now (not this year, unfortunately because of my parents’ health). the recipe i use for my turkey comes from my mom and it always comes out amazing. i believe it is french canadian. this is a similar concept to the stick of butter in that it adds flavorful fat to the meat. before you put the bird in the oven you lay small strips of salt pork across the top and tuck some into the space between the drumsticks and the body. as the oven heats up the salt pork begins to drip and basically bastes the outside of the bird in salty fat the whole time it roasts. the skin browns beautifully and it is always very moist. i also have a great recipe for the stuffing (i stuff the bird before roasting) here:
    j and i will be traveling to rhode island for thanksgiving this year but roasting our own small turkey on the weekend. good luck with yours!

• 8 Gayle // Nov 13, 2008 at 10:53 pm

Hi Monkey’s Momma!
    Thank you!

Hi m. heart!
    Thank you for the great advice! Now I’m going to check out your stuffing recipe!

• 9 Liss // Nov 14, 2008 at 6:46 am

Too freaky, but very cute. I saw a museum display a few weeks ago which was a collection of heart shaped rocks. I was disappointed that I was not allowed to take photographs there. Nice photo

• 10 Gayle // Nov 14, 2008 at 8:01 am

Hi Liss!

Wow, that must have been a cool display!

• 11 maya // Nov 14, 2008 at 3:22 pm

hey gayle – i think i’m going to try PW’s method:

• 12 Gayle // Nov 14, 2008 at 4:35 pm

Hi maya!

I saw that one today. I’m anxious to see what PW’s brine recipe will be.

• 13 I Am Also Thankful For… // Nov 28, 2008 at 7:29 pm

[…] was really nice.  The turkey was not bad!  It wasn’t dried out at all.  I followed your advice in the comments to keep it moist and it worked!  Thank […]

• 14 Diablita // Nov 25, 2015 at 6:24 am

I only need to smell a glass of wine and I’m tipsy enough to dance on a table, I’m not quite that bad but 1/2 a small glass of wine would do it. People alywas say I must be a cheap date but he alywas says it would be cheaper if I drink as soft drinks don’t cost any less and i might drink them slower. Happy holidays Julyeps thanks for the chance to win