If You Give a Mouse Peanut Butter…

November 5th, 2008 · 15 Comments

We haven’t seen many wild critters around lately.  No wild turkeys, no deer, no snakes.  We have smelled plenty of skunks though!  When Timmy, our Parson Russell Terrier, has to go out after dark we have this whole wild animal scaring ritual we go through before we let him out.  We turn on the outside lights and knock on the sliding door and make all kinds of noise to try and scare away any critters that might be hanging out in our fenced-in yard.  When we open the door Timmy takes off like a bullet!  He runs around the yard sniffing like crazy!  One night last fall or winter I went to let Timmy out and I looked down and right on the other side of the sliding glass door there was an opossum all curled up on the door mat.  I guess it was cozy there!  I’m so glad I saw it before opening the door.  We don’t have to worry about it with Polly, our beagle.  She doesn’t usually go out once it gets dark.  That dog must have some bladder!

Well, I should have said we haven’t seen many wild critters outside lately.  Inside, it’s a different story.

I found this little guy (or girl) in the sink in my laundry room last night!  At this time of year we get mice in our basement.  My husband sets out traps.  This year the mice are especially smart and brave.  They sit next to the traps eating the peanut butter off of them while my husband stands there and watches!  I think this mouse slipped off of a pipe that runs over the sink, fell in and couldn’t climb out.  It was this little mouse’s lucky day.  My husband put it into a plastic container, which of course, my children and I insisted needed air holes!  The little guy/girl went off with my husband this morning to find a new home in the woods far from our house!

Tags: Home & Garden · Pets · Wild Critters

• 1 Michele // Nov 5, 2008 at 2:47 pm

I DON’T LIKE MICE!!! My heart goes out to you!

• 2 Gayle // Nov 5, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Oh no! I hope I didn’t freak you out with the photo! I think they’re cute, but I don’t want them living/pooping in my house!

• 3 Alexis // Nov 5, 2008 at 3:16 pm

Mice are kind-of cute! Last year we had a RAT and I was not excited about that at all!!!!

Thanks for visiting my blog–yours is delightful!

• 4 Gayle // Nov 5, 2008 at 7:06 pm

Hi Alexis!

No, I wouldn’t feel the same if it had been a rat!

• 5 maya // Nov 5, 2008 at 7:14 pm

i don’t want them in my house, but i do think they’re cute!! :)

• 6 Gayle // Nov 5, 2008 at 7:36 pm

Hi maya!

I’m glad the little guy/girl is at it’s new home in the woods away from our house now!

• 7 ELK // Nov 5, 2008 at 9:21 pm

cute but no thanks!

what did Timmy think?

• 8 Gayle // Nov 5, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Hi ELK!

My husband put the mouse (in the plastic container) by the downstairs door this morning so he would remember to bring it with him and once Timmy got it’s scent he wanted to play with it! We had to put it outside, and still Timmy sniffed around for about 15 minutes!

• 9 poppy fields // Nov 6, 2008 at 8:50 am

Yes, mice are better outside than in. But he is cute :)

• 10 Gayle // Nov 6, 2008 at 11:20 am

Hi poppy fields!

Thank you for visiting!

• 11 Hana // Nov 15, 2008 at 9:59 pm

Oh, so glad you did NOT kill this poor little guy. They don’t mean any harm of course. :o)

I saw your adorable site with cute pics of your dogs and your cute crochet patterns! :o) I enjoy crocheting in my very spare time and love when people post and create their very own patterns of imagination to share. Good work.

And I would have had an unhappy ending if I saw that you killed the cute little guy. So glad you guys set him free.
    Cheers!

• 12 Gayle // Nov 16, 2008 at 10:34 am

Hi Hana!

Thank you for visiting and for the very sweet comment!

• 13 ashlyn // May 8, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Just curious did you use humane traps in the basement? My pet mouse escaped and put down humane traps but she was able to eat the food and walk out.

• 14 http://plausiblefurvor37.blog.com // Sep 24, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Hello, the whole thing is going fine hhere and ofcourse
    every one is sharing information, that’s genuinely fine, keep up writing.

Here iss my blog … blogging for business – http://plausiblefurvor37.blog.com,

• 15 search engine optimization plan // Sep 26, 2014 at 8:26 pm

you’re truly a just right webmaster. The website loading speed is incredible.
    It kind of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick.
    Also, The contents are masterwork. you have done a great task on this topic!

Alsoo visit my website :: search engine optimization plan