This Old Wishing Well

September 22nd, 2008 · 14 Comments

I love this old wishing well.

My husband does not.

I love all of the moss and lichens that grow on it’s roof.  My husband does not.

Photo by my youngest son

Photo by my youngest son

I love the old pulley inside.  My husband does not.

My husband wants to break it up!  It’s in his way when he mows the grass! He thinks it is ugly!

We have lived here for thirteen years, and I’ve saved this wishing well from becoming a pile of wood for thirteen years!

So, what do you think?  Should I still protect my precious old wishing well, or let it become kindling?

Tags: Home & Garden

• 1 BOSSY // Sep 22, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooo! You must save the wellllllllllllll. (OK, Bossy can be a little bit theatrical on Mondays.)

• 2 Gayle // Sep 22, 2008 at 1:03 pm

Okay, I must be dreaming. Because I think the comment above is from BOSSY!!!! A comment from BOSSY, people! I have BOSSY on my side of the wishing well issue!

Thank you for commenting, BOSSY.

• 3 ELK // Sep 22, 2008 at 2:39 pm

well this is a hard one I could go either way…I would let him tear it down so that you can use it as leverage laterwhen you REALLY want something like jewels, etc etc…just like to pick my “battles” so to speak.

• 4 Gayle // Sep 22, 2008 at 3:00 pm

Hi ELK!

Hahahahaha. It’s not likely that there are any jewels in my future! Leverage? I’ll have to think about that.

• 5 Michelle // Sep 22, 2008 at 3:28 pm

No! Don’t let him tear it down!

It’s beautiful.. I wish I had one.

• 6 lailani // Sep 22, 2008 at 4:17 pm

Save the well!!!!!

Hey, maybe you could add a mulch bed around it and the tree behind it and SAVE him a few feet of mowing and SAVE the WELL :)

• 7 Jenna // Sep 22, 2008 at 5:49 pm

Keep it! I like it, has personality!

• 8 Gayle // Sep 22, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Hi Michelle, lailani and Jenna!

Yes! I feel so much stronger in my “Keep the Wishing Well” position now!

lailani, that is a great suggestion about the mulch. I get to keep my wishing well and my guy doesn’t have the mowing problem!

• 9 Our Gorgeous Pool. Hah! // Sep 23, 2008 at 8:34 am

[…] Random Things That Make Me Happy! My youngest son looking for his big sister to play together! My teen-aged son enthusiastically playing his guitar! My daughter designing and sewing her own stuffed “critter”, persevering even when it got tough! My teen-aged son telling me about a great book he just finished reading (Fahrenheit 451). My daughter helping me put together the Stan and Floss Adventure posts. My youngest son and my husband going to the ice rink to spend some time together. ← This Old Wishing Well […]

• 10 Updates on Wishing Well and Dreams // Oct 3, 2008 at 3:10 pm

[…] my precious wishing well?  It got a reprieve from becoming a pile of […]

• 11 The Wishing Well Saga Continues! // Oct 15, 2008 at 10:02 am

[…] is what a portion of our backyard looks like now.  Do you notice that something is missing?  I mean, other than a bunch of rocks and […]

• 12 Monday Memories: The Tenth?! // May 10, 2009 at 10:01 pm

[…] you remember my wishing well? This was it’s orginal location. I loved how it looked in this […]

• 13 mark // Mar 21, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Keep the well iam going to try and duplicate it for my pond.I need to cover my filter save the well. Would u known the size.

• 14 Robert Davis // Jan 29, 2015 at 9:39 am

We have the well, we are now looking for the top etc. ours was stolen. Any ideas anyone?