A Plarn Crochet Bag…is so fun to make!

August 5th, 2008 · 11 Comments

Edited to add: You can see the finished plarn bag here!

I am having so much fun with plarn!  I am using plastic bags that I had collected, and not yet recycled, from food shopping.  I am crocheting a pool bag based on this pattern.  I am using a size N hook and I think I started with a chain of 40.  It’s coming out to be about seventeen inches wide, but it stretches to be even wider.  I’m not sure how high I’ll make it.  One thing is for sure, it takes a lot of bags!  I’m guessing the height of my pool bag will be determined by when I run out of plarn material!

I love that when I’m getting to the end of my “skein” I just make and add more plarn!  I feel a kinship to the Yarn Harlot!  (Oh, I know there is no comparison between spinning and making plarn (except maybe in the enjoyment factor to the spinner/plarner!))

If you have some plastic bags sitting around waiting to be recycled I definitely recommend making a pool or market bag, or something similar, with them.  It’s FUN!

Now go forth and plarn!  If you’ve already made something with plarn, put a link in the comments so everyone can check it out!

Tags: Crocheted Stuff

• 1 Cathy // Aug 7, 2008 at 2:12 am

A pool bag is a great idea. I have never heard of plarn..

• 2 Gayle // Aug 7, 2008 at 9:32 am

Hi Cathy,
    I hadn’t heard of plarn until recently when I saw a purse that my sister-in-law had made with it. I didn’t think a purse would work for me, but I think the pool bag will be really useful!
    Gayle

• 3 How To Make Plarn // Sep 6, 2008 at 10:58 am

[…] when I told you about a pool bag that I am making with Plarn?  Well, I got a little side-tracked with vacation and making monkeys […]

• 4 Iris // Sep 24, 2008 at 11:11 am

A friend had promised directions for crocheting with plarn but she had never gotten around to sending them to me. I stumbled across your directions last week and printed them.
    Now I am ready to start making totes for wheelchairs. The plarn is tough and strong and this should be really great for Hospice clients – inexpensive, too.

• 5 Gayle // Sep 24, 2008 at 11:44 am

Hi Iris,

Making plarn totes for wheelchairs is a wonderful idea. The plarn does seem to be strong.

Gayle

• 6 Gaz // Jan 20, 2009 at 12:42 pm

I was first introduced to the concept of plarn when I saw my friend’s mom crocheting a bag out of plastic last summer. I just went “OMG are you crocheting w/plastic? That’s awesome!” But it wasn’t until months later that I decided to take up crocheting again, and the plarn is a great idea because I refuse to throw out plastic bags, but I got tons that are too small to reuse as wastebasket bags so this is the best use for them. So thanks for this tutorial on making the plarn, it’s a great starting-off point for me. I plan on making simple shopping bags and totes for now.

• 7 Bridget // Feb 10, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Thanks so much for putting up your tutorial on how to make plarn and your modifications of the bag pattern. I’ve started making a bag that I will use as a book bag (I’m studying to be a librarian.) At this point I like making the plarn more than crocheting it. It’s slow work, but I suppose I’ll get used to the plarn.

Bridget’s last blog post..Still in a crochet slump…

• 8 Gayle // Feb 11, 2009 at 9:55 am

Hi Bridget!

Thank you for visiting and for the nice comment! I agree, making the plarn
    was more fun than crocheting with it. The crocheting part was kind of hard
    on my hands, it doesn’t crochet smoothly like yarn. I do like the bag,
    though! Good luck with it!

• 9 CrochetDad // Apr 23, 2009 at 3:09 am

I’ve crocheted tote bags from plarn. It’s great fun to make something useful from something most people consider to be trash. My next plarn project will combine pull-tabs from soft drink cans with the plarn.

CrochetDad’s last blog post..Mary J Blige Bulky Cables Hat

• 10 Linda // Sep 27, 2010 at 7:46 pm

I do plarnyarn bags using a double crochet round bottom and fishnet sides with a decrease
    on each side into a strap. I’m on my 15th one.
    Sorry no website. Linda

• 11 Martha Laskoskie // Oct 24, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I have been making doilies and door mats in sc from plastic bags from the cleaners since the mid 70’s. Very versatile and can be made as large as you want them.